Choeung Ek, Killing Fields
Choeung Ek, Killing Fields - Phnom Penh
Choeung Ek Killing Fields the site of a former orchard and Chinese graveyard about 17 km south of Phnom Penh, Cambodia, is the best-known of the sites known as The Killing Fields, where the Khmer Rouge regime executed about 17,000 people between 1975 and 1979. Mass graves containing 8,895 bodies were discovered at Choeung Ek after the fall of the Khmer Rouge regime. Many of the dead were former political prisoners who were kept by the Khmer Rouge in their Tuol Sleng detention center.
Today, Choeung Ek is a memorial, marked by a Buddhist stupa. The stupa has acrylic glass sides and is filled with more than 5,000 human skulls. Some of the lower levels are opened during the day so that the skulls can be seen directly. Many have been shattered or smashed in.
Tourists are encouraged by the Cambodian government to visit Choeung Ek. Apart from the stupa, there are pits from which the bodies were exhumed. Human bones still litter the site.
On May 3, 2005, the Municipality of Phnom Penh announced that they had entered into a 30-year agreement with JC Royal Co. to develop the memorial at Choeung Ek. As part of the agreement, they are not to disturb the remains still present in the field.
The film The Killing Fields is a dramatized portrayal of events like those that took place at Choeung Ek.
- Phnom Penh
- Full Day
Phnom Penh Hotels
- Hotel Cambodiana
- Double Leaf Boutique Hotel
- V Hotel Phnom Penh
- Harmony Phnom Penh Hotel
- Sofitel Phnom Penh Phokeethra
- Diamond Palace Resort & Sky Bar
- TeaHouse Asian Urban Hotel
- Grand Waterfront Hotel
- Okay Boutique Hotel
- Villa Sovanna Boutique Hotel
- Aquarius Hotel and Urban Resort
- The Plantation Urban Resort and Spa
Phnom Penh Tours
- Essential Phnom Penh tour 3Days
- Phnom Tamao - Tonle Bati & Phnom Chisor tour 1Day
- Best of Phnom Penh tour 2Days
- Sambor Prei Kuk - Kratie - Kompong Cham tour 3Days
- Oudong tour 1Day
- Sambor Prei Kuk tour 1Day
- Phnom Penh Highlights tour 1Day
- Sambor Prei Kuk - Homestay tour 2Days
- Sambor Prei Kuk - Prasat Bakan tour 2Days
- Phnom Penh in details tour 4Days